M and J Paving and Sealcoating in Hackensack NJ are Thieves!

Update added by user Jan 12

Thank you M&J Paving.It turns out that an illness in the family caused this debacle.

Though I wish they would have handled this situation immediately, they did make it right. A year later, we were able to connect and they refunded a fair portion to me. I believe that these are good people, but they were in a bad situation that they handled badly.

I applaud and thank them for caring enough to make things right.I wish them the best and withdraw my previous comments.

Update added by user Nov 21, 2015

On November 16, 2015, I sued M&J in Bergen County Court and won a default judgement because they did not show up. I have reported them to The State of NJ Business Licensing entity and submitted their registered address to the BBB. I also made a report with Bergen County Consumer Affairs.

Original review posted by user Oct 22, 2015

On Oct 3 2014, I was approached by Mike (son) about paving my driveway. He was driving through the neighborhood, I assumed looking to get some work before winter. I was in the market for a new driveway. He quoted me $2,000 for the complete job with a 5-year guarantee. His crew came a week later and laid down the new driveway. I gave him $2,000 cash. When I asked him for a receipt, he was reluctant to give me one. I wrote one up and demanded he sign it. In December, Mike came by again and sealed the driveway for another $150.

By February, 2015, I noticed peaks and valleys in my driveway, with about a 9 inch differential. This was obviously a shoddy job. I compared it to my next-door neighbor's driveway, who had her driveway replaced (same job as mine) by a different company a week before mine was replaced. Her driveway was perfect.

April 2015, showed long vert and horiz cracks in my driveway, the very rough surface was wearing away.Called M&J three times. Finally Mike stopped by unannounced and confirmed that the driveway needed to be redone. He told me that he had purchased substandard materials from their asphalt supplier and had several driveways to replace as a result. I told him that I was sorry, but just because he "cheaped out," his customers should not have to pay the price.

His solution was to cover the driveway with another coat of asphalt. I did not like that solution and called the company phone number. This time I got Mike, the father. I told him that I wanted the substandard material removed and all new asphalt put down. He agreed, and said he would replace the driveway in three weeks (the beginning of May).

By July, I had not heard anything from them. I called one of the numbers, and it was disconnected. I called the other number and got voicemail. I left three messages within a week, and still no replay. I notice that the BBB has a D+ rating for this company. I wish I would have checked before contracting them.

The first week of September 2015, Mike showed up unannounced. He promised me he would return the next week to fix my driveway. It's now October 14 and I haven't seen him. Both numbers for his Englewood and Hackensack Offices are disconnected.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Turnaround Time

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Swindled me out of 2000

Reason of review:
Extremely poor quality and horrible customer service. I was actually swindled by this company.
Preferred solution:
Full refund
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Driveway Paving
Review category
Home Construction and Repair
review #721573 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with M And J Paving And Sealcoating? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to M And J Paving And Sealcoating. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about M And J Paving And Sealcoating.
Filing a new complaint about